Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pistachio & White Chocolate Chunkies


These may be one of the most unique cookies I have ever tasted. This cookie recipe is definitely a keeper. 

Let me back up and explain why I chose to make these cookies. My beloved boyfriend Chris, is an extremely picky eater. I'm talking almost nothing but fatty deep fried fast food passes his lips. He also loves white chocolate. The other day he asked me why white chocolate chip cookies almost always contained macadamia nuts? Apparently, he's not a fan of the buttery Hawaiian nut. I said something about how the flavors work really well together. But it got me thinking about his favorite nut, pistachios. Surely, I could combine white chocolate and pistachios into a divine cookie....


While I wish I could take credit for these delicious, unique cookies, this is not my recipe. I came upon this recipe while browsing for ideas. I had every intention of creating my own cookie but I love Nigella Lawson, so when I came upon her cookies my search ended. 


I renamed the cookies because mine came out looking chunky. FYI, this recipe uses the metric system. If you don't have a food scale, click here. Note, the directions differ from the ones I posted here. 




 Pistachio & White Chocolate Chunkies

100g butter, softened
125g sugar
100g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
150g  flour
1 tsp baking soda 
125g white chocolate chips
250g raw unsalted pistachios

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place 100g of the raw pistachios into a food processor with the sugar and pulse until you have a fine meal.

Cream the butter and brown sugar till soft and fluffy, then add the sugar/pistachio meal and beat well. Add the vanilla and egg and beat till combined, then beat in the flour. Once the dough is smooth and thick, add the remaining chopped pistachios and white chocolate and mix to combine.

Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes, then remove the cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling down. 

No comments: